Experienced Redding Burn Injury Attorney
Serious burns can leave you with long-lasting physical and psychological damage. If you or a loved one have suffered a serious burn injury caused by an unsafe product or improperly-maintained property, you may need an experienced burn injury attorney on your side.
The Redding, CA burn injury attorneys of Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel can help you get the compensation you need for your medical costs and suffering.
Types of Burn Injuries
According to the Center for Disease Control, 1.1 million people in the U.S. suffer burn injuries that require medical attention every year. Approximately 20,000 people suffer major burns that cover 25% of their body’s surface while 50,000 people require hospitalization.
There are four main types of burns:
- Thermal burns: caused by sources of extreme heat such as fire, steam, and hot liquids
- Chemical burns: caused by contact with chemicals, acid, or alkali
- Radiation burns: caused by contact with nuclear radiation
- Light burns: caused by exposure to ultraviolet light or sunlight
There are three categories of burn severity that can be caused by each of these different types of burns. These categories include:
- First-degree burns: characterized by redness and minor inflammation caused by damage to the top layer of the skin. These burns are minor and can be treated with cool water and aloe vera gel.
- Second-degree burns: characterized by extremely red, blistered skin caused by damage to deeper skin layers. These burns need to be bandaged properly and may take weeks to heal.
- Third-degree burns: characterized by a white or black dry wound and even charing caused by damage to all skin layers, bone, and organs. These burns require emergency medical treatment immediately and can cause permanent nerve damage, hypothermia, and even death.
Burns are traumatic and expensive injuries to treat. If you were the victim of burn injuries because of another person’s negligence or recklessness, contact the law offices of the Redding, CA burn injury attorneys at Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel today.