While tractor-trailer drivers are trained to share the road with passenger vehicles, accidents do happen. About half a million big rig accidents happen annually, and these accidents account for 10% of traffic-related deaths. When a client comes in following one of these accidents, personal injury attorneys will attempt to identify fault. Often, this is difficult to prove, but there are several common causes of semi truck accidents.
Why do semi truck accidents happen?
The following are some of the most common reasons why tractor-trailers collide with passenger cars.
- Distracted Driving: Well-seasoned big rig operators may feel comfortable enough behind the wheel to partake in other activities, such as eating, talking on the phone, or texting. Unfortunately, this can cause serious accidents, as the driver’s attention is no longer on the road.
- Drowsy Driving: Most states have regulations that regulate how long a driver can be on the road without stopping to sleep. If a driver violates these rules and does not sleep for many hours, they could lose focus and cause an accident.
- Manufacturing Errors: Some accidents happen because there was a flaw in the manufacturing process. For example, faulty brakes might not activate on time, causing the driver to slide through an intersection.
- Maintenance Mistakes: Trucking companies have a responsibility to keep up with rig maintenance. When they fail to do so, they could be responsible for any resulting accidents.
- Weather Conditions: As with any type of car accident, big rig crashes can happen as a result of snowy, rainy, or foggy conditions. Since tractor-trailers are more difficult to control, they might be more impacted by dangerous weather.
What should I do if I’m involved in a trucking accident?
If you, or someone you love, was injured in a tractor-trailer accident, it’s important to research personal injury attorneys. A qualified attorney can guide you through your case and help you prove negligence. By doing so, you can increase your chances of receiving compensation for your damages. And this can help you move forward following your accident.
Injured in a semi truck accident? Reiner, Slaughter and Frankel are the injury attorneys you can rely on. Call us today to set up a legal consultation.